01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Soup Monday - Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Soup Monday - Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup

34
Another week has passed and it’s Monday again already. This week we looked for a recipe to use up fennel as we still had some left over at home. And according to L, fennel is a revelation. When roasted for this soup it is super delicious, soft and full of a subtle earthy, yet sweet flavour from the slight caramelisation.
Make sure you try a little bit of the fennel once you're done roasting the veggies.
I used last weekend to attend a photography course. I got an amazing new camera from L for my birthday the other week. Up until then (and still do now) I've been taking photos with either a point and shoot or a camera phone. With the new camera I've been having lots of fun, taking it with me and snapping photos of my surroundings. 

After my course I’m hoping to be able to use my camera to its full potential. Unfortunately a fancy camera doesn’t automatically make you a great photographer, but I hope I'm getting there and I'm having lots of fun on the way!

Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup
(Printable recipe)
1 kg carrots, peeled, trimmed and sliced
2 bulbs of fennel, trimmed and sliced, tops reserved to serve
1 leek, white part only, sliced
Olive oil
1 clove of garlic, unpeeled
1l vegetable stock
1 handful of parsley, chopped
4 tbsps sour cream

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Put the carrots, fennel and leek in a roasting dish and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, then add the garlic clove. Stir everything thoroughly and return to the oven for 20 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft and browned. Remove the papery skins from the garlic clove.

Put the roasted veggies in a large pan with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, then liquidise with a stick blender, until completely smooth.

Stir mixed parsley through the soup. Serve soup with a swirl of sourcream, a scattering of fennel tops and some bread.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver.

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38